5. november 2010

I had a chat with the crew on this beautiful catamaran "Sara" from Norway. Unfortunately they were not looking for any new team members. 


The last couple of days I have spend trimming my flyer and kind of tried to let it "fly" around. Also to attract more attention in this highly competitive environment I have invested money in some pink Winnie the Pooh tape. I mean which captain's lady would not think that is cute?! I got a good response from my friends in the hostel who think it is funny.
We are probably around 15 dedicated sailing boat searchers in the hostel. Even though we are "competitors" the mood in between us is really fantastic and we have fun every evening on the rooftop of the hostel where also the kitchen is. Just sitting outside in 20 degrees at 22 o'clock drinking tasty wine is so wonderful and relaxing... not that we are closed to being stressed but I really enjoy it and several "competitors" are potential long lasting friendships. Every day new persons arrive like 007 from Sweden (at least his name is Roger) who also decided to bike on a 3 wheeled bicycle from Sweden to West Sahara. So far it has been 4 months and 7000 km! Now he arrived to Las Palmas and doesn't want the adventure to stop, so he decided to like the rest of us to cross the Atlantic on the day he arrived:). He is the type that saved up a lot of money just to realize that life is precious and needs to be enjoyed here and now with lifetime memories and adventures - fantastic!:) You can check out his bike and route on www.cykeltripp.se.

I noticed an ad for the Scandinavian club just located two blocks from the hostel and teamed up with some of the others who thought it was a brilliant idea. Not only would it be good networking with possible sailor network but also opportunity to watch a movie. It turned out that it was run by Swedes with a extremely helpful attitude and local beers for just €1,- in the bar. Enjoying this offer a Czech guy Martin, came to our table and I guess he was as surprised as us realizing that we represented so many different countries.
The movies shown included his real life private movie of an ocean crossing in a 26 foot (8,5 meters) sailing boat, demonstrating the simple food on board, dolphins leading you out on the deep ocean, big waves and challenges with the equipment along the way. The filming was done in a very lets say informal way by him and his crazy looking friend who was cooking sometimes very strange looking stuff:) It was quite entertaining. Like when they arrived in the Caribbean where the sea map showed 30 meters depth but facts were actually only 2,6 meters (This happened to me also in Southern part of Denmark this summer - Steen F you remember?:). He returned alone spending 55 days, sleeping in daytime and being awake in the darkness to avoid potential ships on the route. Brave guy!

I should by the way present my notebook who lays body to my tickling writing; a Samsung N220 who with restricted but some water resistance and battery life of 10 hours is born for this expedition. It came with Windows 7 - which is best OS till date however the "starter" version has certain limitations like the most crazy one I discovered; desktop image cannot be changed. By default it has the typical Windows logo. Can I puke? Even though I am far from being a pc master I actually with my friend Google's help succeeded in overruling it!! Now it's me and my Californian babe; Chervolet Camaro on a mountain top in Death Valley (US tour description soon to be found on this blog). I am a proud man and celebration was needed so I decided to feed and upgrade the notebook in appreciation for the collaboration to 2 GB RAM. Prost!

Notice the sneaky smile on the face of the Camaro (and me;). 3,6L engine forcing 304 HP to  hit 100 km/h in  just 6 seconds. My type indeed!:)

 Stay tuned and thank you for stopping by!

3 kommentarer:

  1. battery life of 10 hours is born for this expedition...Ahahaha....

    SvarSlet
  2. Windows 7 - the best OS to date?!?! Pwft... . I guess that makes the Mac's Snow Leopard OS "out of this universe" then ;oP. But ok, Win7 is the best OS to date...for the PC world :o).

    (http://www.laptopmag.com/mobile-life/snow-leopard-vs-windows-7.aspx#axzz14VzFCYfA)

    Hope you'll manage to find a sailing boat host soon :o). Cute pink Winnie the Pooh tapes... :o). If I were the captain himself with a hot wife, I'd definitely choose you because I'll assume you'd be safe enough to have around (read the other word for 'happy')... ;oP. However, if have kids onboard, I might reconsider ;oP.

    SvarSlet
  3. Thanks for the comments!
    .. and I will make sure to include other operating systems in eventual future reviews instead of having dirty Windows glasses on only;)

    SvarSlet