17. marts 2011

Navigating on the ocean of life.


Early morning welcoming a new day in the cockpit


Chapter 2

Living on an 11 meter long sailing boat has its natural limits. Limits which place you in a simple level of live. It’s like a cheap campground; no shower, small smelly toilet, uncomfortable bed and uncomplicated but tasty noodle cooking. I guess the only difference is that on a campground you have plenty of space on ground which will not be moving while walking on it (…maybe unless you had a few too many beers). The boat will rock you back and forth 24/7 and you are not running anywhere.

I am a happy camper and do enjoy periods with complete lack of modern comforts. Maybe because it automatically means that you get closer to and embrace Mother Nature… and yourself! 


Limited space: the salon with kitchen and my bedroom in the back


The toilet - no place for dancing:)

 For me liberation is to wake up to the sound of the water, getting my sleepy eyes out in the cockpit surrounded with glittering water and some dry bread which just stay together due to a massive layer of Nutella in my hands – see, that’s a beautiful moment right there. Add one glass of cold milk which actually has been cooled by the sun as three solar panels make the boat a self sustainable home in terms of energy, and it even makes it a green moment. 


The port side - notice the yellow board and the beach within reach

I stayed 2 month on this Ericson 36 boat and enjoyed every second – maybe just apart from when the big waves were trying to take over on the way down from Las Palmas to Santa Maria (see December blogs) but it was a great challenge which takes you closer to the boat, the crew and makes land and the goal port a true relief to reach.   
Ironically the human mind seem to need the down’s to enjoy the up’s, need the vibrant challenges to amuse the calm rests and need the cold night in order to praise warm day. Even though so the dark night can be a magical place with the universe blinking at you…

Most of the time in the boat I spend anchored in the bay of Santa Maria. It made it an exotic floating summer house with fishes swimming in the clear turquoise 25 degree warm water beneath and the shore just a short swim away. It was a unique point and I enjoyed the peace and to be alone for some time. 


The amazing color of the clear 8 meter deep sea by the shore of Santa Maria 

But eventually I longed for a local beer… First time I took the tour to shore in the evening I was just shaking my head as I slowly got myself down on the yellow board in the dark water. It was stupid and was not sure if I would turn around in the water and wet the entire close in my bag. I did however manage to keep balance, not fall into the water and paddled in to the beach with only my hands and legs in the water. Actually I could not see the beach but I could hear it, hear the waves hitting shore and further behind lights from buildings were visible.
It was a 10 minutes ride and as soon as I reached shore I walked up the beach to this semi open air restaurant called Atlantico. I will never forget the surprised look in people’s eyes seeing a wet guy coming out of the dark with red shorts and a yellow board under the arm. Now it is a fairly upscale place which was probably why I felt down starred and so wrongly placed but it was part of my one and only plan so I didn’t even bother to suggest a plan B in my mind. A waiter was kind enough to advice a parking space for the 3 meter long board and as an extended service offered a bucket of water for my sandy feed before entering the restaurant. In the toilet I made a quick change to a white shirt and long pants and BLING I was part of the surrounding again and had no starring eyes… funny enough I later on arriving in a bar named Chill Out received impressive looks by the crowd there especially when I re-changed back to swim mode and walked off with the board towards the sea…
The essence: if you ever find yourself in place where you feel uncomfortable because of any difference remember you are not necessarily wrong. It’s likely the others – check with the nearest bar! Also in a case like this it is always recommendable to bring in the Danish fairytale by Hans Christian Andersen: The Ugly Duckling :)


Another day is burning up in beautiful colors 

    

Don’t swim too far out – the next update is just around the corner.


Till then ENJOY LIFE!!!

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar