1. november 2010

Day 1 (Oct. 30th 2010)

Part of the harbor in Las Palmas
Waking up 3 seconds before the alarm started at 4.23 in the morning, is where my memory start. Less than an hour later my buddy also woke up and took me to the airport. Actually I have heard, not sure if it is an official test, but you should be able to distinguish friends from acquaintances just by asking if they can take you to the airport... its pretty simple. Ask your group of what you consider friends and you might get it narrowed down to the real-heavy-duty-friends. Thanks for the ride Mr. F1:)
I was looking forward to this flight. Not only would it take me to where my dreams would hopefully start but also it was a 100% charter flight - so 5 hours of fun with Mr. & Mrs Denmark on tour. It's totally different than a regular airliner. Here you have 6 worked out certain characteristics of the typical charter guest:

1. Prefers to stand in line for 1/2 hour for manual check in instead of immediate self check in.
2. When the screen comes down in the airplane for the first time with safety instructions they tent to look at           each other with impressive nodding looks.
3. They hit the toilet like crazy. As I was having an aisle seat I know for sure I was up at least 3 times due to my charter neighbor's "need". Impressive!
4. A flight is kind of a cozy ride. The mobile is off and vacation has officially started. In this laid back comfortable mode you need to stroll a bit around spreading the vacation happiness chatting a little here a little there. It is very common and used. Not sure the stewardesses feel the same happiness about it though.
5. A Gammel Dansk ("Old Danish" - If you like Jägermeister with your breakfast then go, if not stay faaar away!) goes along with the meal.
6. Tent to have the "me, me, me" attitude. Like trying to skip queue and board the plane with your 20A seat when only 30+ seats announced as allowed or hurrying out of the plane at the destination just to wait 30 minutes for you luggage at the end of the hallway.  

To sum it up - they are all very cute! They are just a bit insecure of what to do. Having that in mind you will never get bothered by the above. The opposite actually - It brings out smile on your face. Also the captain actually took his time explaining about the tour and facts like: we were going to spend 19.000 liters of fuel (oohh makes your green heart bleed!) and our 85 tonne starting weight would lift off the baby (Airbus 321) at 300 km/h... When did you last time experience that kind of info on a regular airliner? I recommend a charter plane next time if possible:)

So after leaving all my friends from the airplane in the hands of the smiling guides from various agencies in the arrival terminal (initiate memories of myself standing there 10 years ago) I went out in the 30 degrees Celsius, sunny weather. NICE!


After a 20 minutes bus ride to Las Palmas I checked in at the hostel Alcaravaneras and went straight out to the beach and harbor located just 2 minutes walk from the hostel. I was surprised that local women actually were topless on the beach. I mean we are used to it in Denmark (HEY maybe that’s why we are the happiest people in the world;) but I have not seen it in to that extension anywhere else, now except for Las Palmas! Anyway at the harbor I found a board where I put up my flyer in order to attract sailing boats crossing the Atlantic Ocean. I found that many are seeking a ship in the area and also talked to a young French couple who had waited in 10 days now. They were travelling on a limited budget so they were spending the nights on the beach! I guess it can be tough to be a pre-sailor.
Later I met up with a German and American couple who were BIKING around the western world. They had started in Germany and now after 5000 km they were looking for a ride over the ocean – doing it the green non-co2 polluting way. I like that!
In the evening as it was Saturday and Haloween nightlife had to be checked out and it turned out that THE place to go is called “Heineken Bar”. Excuse me, but hello Carlsberg! Why haven’t you already made something like this?!! 5 Euro entrance including a drink or Heinee not bad. But the best drink was next door in the (Miriam, if your culo reads this you will be smiling) Habana Club Bar where a refreshing caipirinha the size of a tub made the happy end of my first day.  

… to be continued.

I found a board that was not overcrowded and next to my German/US bicycle friends. Kindly notice the attractive Winnie the Pooh tape:) 

2 kommentarer: