11. november 2010

Gunnar by Afriki - just re-named to Sheilah in the harbor of Las Palmas.



A productive day and diving, day 11, November 9th 2010.

We got up around 8.30 and Sheilah spoiled us with eggs and bacon. Just by sitting in the cockpit zipping to your hot coffee watching the sun reflecting in the calm waters you knew that this was going to be a gooood day. I started out with cleaning the front cabin where I am sleeping and taking the “madras/pillows” I am sleeping on out in the air for a refresher. My bed is very spacious, you could sleep 2 persons even if you don’t like each other that much.. you know. Gunnar even said that 2 persons and a child can sleep there but I replied that I’m do not plan to stay that long;)
A lot of dark beautiful wood is dominating the inside of the ship giving it the charm and scent this lady from 1976 possesses. Outside she is white and blue, has a big shell and I say some Venetian style… or should I say romantic curves.
After the cleaning I went with Gunnar to some of the boat stores in the harbor to buy life buoyant, reserve tank and other stuff. Next thing we did was to blow up our “dinghy” which is the small rubber boat most sailors have. This will take you around in the harbor and into land when anchoring. We got it into water and attached the 10HP Yamaha motor which is totally hip painted – Christiania in Copenhagen would love it – flowers on a pink background:) The engine had not been started for maybe a year or so but we got it running pretty quick. However it was only running when giving it plenty of gas/choker and air was disappearing from the bottom of the rubber boat. I didn’t stop Gunnar and me to take the dinghy out on a tour in the harbor (Sheilah was out fixing passport and papers for us to leave). We went to the “sail by” gas station and filled up 13L in the tank… well must admit we had to paddle some of the way cause the engine decided to pass out, but this was officially our first tour on the water.       
Safely back on gangway G again, next mission was initiated; I was going to dive under Afriki who actually was renamed the same day to “Sheilah” – the captain had gracefully decided to name the sailing boat after his soul mate on board and new name was painted in red with a little hint of orange. I loved it, not only is it a beautiful name, the boat now had both red and white which touched my national heart:) The boat was left with a great bunch of equipment including diving stuff and the oxygen cylinder was luckily all full. So I jumped in the approximately 22 degree water and although harbors not exactly are well known for clean waters you can easily spot steams of fish here so I guess the water was not that bad. It was a wonderful feeling to stick your head under water and force your brain to breathe. I got some extra weight on my belt (water is very salty which keep you floating) and went about 1,5 meters down under the boat. Fantastic. It’s just a whole new universe even though nothing exotic could be spotted. It was more low visibility and propellers of ships passing by but just to be down surrounded by sound and water was YEAH! Now as Sheilah CV (I put CV for Sheilah from Cape Verde so you know which of the Sheilahs I am talking about) has been left for sales in the harbor the last half year with no movements her belly is pretty nasty and the propeller was stuck with stone, snails and other indescribable stuff which I had to scrape off or we could possibly have problems when sailing for motor. Since it is about 10 years since I dived last time I highly enjoyed it.   

In the end of the afternoon still having my red Baywatch shorts on I decided to clean the deck which for me like vacuum cleaning comes out most satisfying when you actually can see how far you are and this was indeed one of these experiences.
When the sun went down around 19.00 we sad in a bar overlooking the harbor drinking beer and checking emails. We were supposed to go to a restaurant but had to wait for more than an hour as it only opened at 20.00! Welcome to Spain!:) Gunnar had invited and paid for the great dinner we had later on. I guess he was satisfied with my duties although it for me doesn’t directly feel like work – I am learning a lot as wished for and love my new “family” here. I worship the boat as was it mine and on top of this feel they respond to their new crew in such a motivating, free way which also include everybody sharing everything - from work to free time. No one to fine for specific duties on board. Its true teamwork and the captain as the experienced man that has been on the seven seas the last 45 years also a lot to give and best of all; he does it in a very patient smiling way.    
Perfect platform for new adventures.  

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar